3/31/13

Eagle Editorial Board opposes GLBT Opt-Out Bill

On the same note as my Letter to the Editor, published Friday, the Editorial Board of The Eagle published an opinion piece today opposing the GLBT Opt-Out Bill, entitled "Aggies must not exclude fellow students." I appreciate that they break down the bill's multiple issues: first, it clearly discriminates against LGBT people, which is wrong; second, "...the issue before the Student Senate is whether students can withhold a portion of their fee that funds a group they oppose. The answer clearly should be no."

I know that The Eagle doesn't speak for all, or possibly even the majority, of residents of Bryan-College Station, but this is still an editorial I couldn't have imagined reading in my hometown newspaper ten years ago. The times, they are a-changin', and it makes me proud and hopeful about settling down and building a life here. Are there places in the U.S. (and elsewhere) that I would have an easier time of it? Absolutely. But those places don't need me, which is one of the main reasons I'm sticking around.

No comments:

Post a Comment